Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Cafe Rio Crock pot Chicken Recipe

This is one of my favorite recipes for several reasons its cheap, easy, and drum roll for the best part, it's health!! It also goes great with either sweet rice (recipe below), brown rice, or whole wheat tortillas (I like the the La Banderita low carb brand, you can't beat 11g of carbs per tortilla).

Cafe Rio Chicken:
5 lbs Chicken Breast
8 oz bottle Zesty Italian (I get the fat free kind, its more expensive but I think its worth it)
1 Tbs Cumin (you can add more or less to your preference, in my family we don't add any)
1 Tbs Chili Powder
3 Cloves Garlic

Cook in crock pot for 6 hours on low or 4 on high. When fully cooked shred chicken with a fork and add 1 can of Black Beans.



Sweet Rice
Spray Oil or Water (you can use this to saute vegetables instead of olive oil)
1/2 White Onion, shopped (add more or less to taste)
1/2 bunch of cilantro (if I don't have any fresh I just use some dried that I already have in my pantry)
1 1/2 Cup White Rice (or brown)
3(White Rice) or 4 (Brown Rice) Cup Chicken Broth (low sodium)
1/4-1/2 Cup White Sugar

1.) Saute Onions until translucent. Add chopped Cilantro (no big stems) and saute a minute more.
2.) Add rice, cooking until light brown. (be careful not to burn)
3.) Combine chicken broth and sugar, letting sugar dissolve. Then stir into rice until combined. Bring to a boil.
4.) Cover and let cook on low, med-low until rice is done, about 25-30 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.

If you are super lazy like me you can just add all the ingredients (except oil) into a rice cooker or steamer and press the cook button. That is how it always gets cooked at our house. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment