Sunday, September 2, 2012

Ingredients- What are you really eating?

Have you ever looked on the back of the box you are buying where it lists the ingredients? This will tell you what food or other things you are putting into your body. I look at the ingredients on EVERYTHING, yes everything I am eating. A general rule I follow is if you can't say it or don't know what it is then DON'T eat it. If you start doing this on all the things in your cabniets that you eat every day you will be amazed at what you are putting into your body. There are so many preservatives, colors, and flavor additives that companies put into their products. Another thing to look for is a shorter list of ingredients. The short and less things the better it is going to be for you. For example triscuits have only one ingredient in them. While wheat thins have a whole long list of stuff added. So according to the nurtitional facts Wheat Thins are best but according to the ingredients it's Triscuits. I always go with the ingredients first and then nutritional facts, but you do what is best for you. I figure it is more important to put a higher quality food in my body than a food with a ton of extra added ingredients that who knows what it will do to me. Another good thing to do when you are buying canned food is to look for the lower sodium options. Many canned vegtables, soy sauce, and soups will have brands that sell no or lower sodium products. Yes a lot of times you will spend more money on healthier foods but I heard in the movie "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" you can either pay more for food or you can pay more for health care. So many of the diseases out there (heart disease, diabeties, cancer, etc.) have been linked to being over weight and unhealthy. I would much rather pay a few dollars more for something that is closer to its natural state than having to pay thousand of dollars for a heart attack but you take your pick. Good luck and YOU CAN DO IT!

2 comments:

  1. I have recently been looking at the ingredient list on the back of food containers and I have really been surprised. There is some crazy stuff in some of the foods that I thought were good for me. Low-fat yogurt was one of them. I thought because they said that it was lower in calories that it would be healthy, but I did not realize all the crazy stuff they put in it to make in low fat and still somewhat tasty. Read labels... What a GREAT tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing what you can learn just by reading the ingredients of everything you eat. I am always shocked at what food companies put into there products. Like you said something may be light or sugar free but they always have to add something else in that is artificial and in the end worse for you. Good luck finding healthy foods and thanks for the great comment!!

    ReplyDelete