Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Cooking dinner for the whole family!


I don't know about you but I have a husband that LOVES a diet full of meat and potatoes, and no vegetables (he is from Wyoming and they love their meat). And unfortunately that is just not very good for you. I know a lot of wives have to deal with the situation. It's hard to find something we both like to eat. I grew up on apples and popcorn, vegetables, and rice. Here are some tips we have learned over the years to cook something healthy for dinner that we both like. First off we made the compromise to eat whole wheat pasta and bread. He doesn't like brown rice so if I cook rice with our meal I will cook one serving of brown and white rice. I try to cook things that can be turned into a healthier version. For example Chicken Parmesan is normally breaded and fried at a restaurant, we love it. So instead I just cook it in the oven and pour tomatoes sauce over it. When I cook his favorite spaghetti, I cook him noodles and steam me some vegetables and I pour the sauce over them. I personally love to pour the spaghetti sauce over spagethhi squash. It is so yummy and looks just like spaghetti noodles if you scoop it out with a fork. Sometime I will have to cook two separate meals for us and sometimes I will splurge and have some meat and potatoes with him. It's all about portion control.  If I splurge I will just eat less of it because it's higher in calories per ounce. Really it's all about finding a compromise and making a plan that will work for the both of you. Most of the time it takes a lot of compromise and time. It has taken us 6 years to get to where we are now. So it won't happen over night, so don't get discourage. Just cook a dinner for the  family and have a salad as a side and just eat the salad and not the main dish. Normally healthier meals are fast and include less work. It's because the ingredients are normally fresh and not cooked long. It doesn't take much time to cut up lettuce and some vegetables!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment